cremation services offered in Cleveland, OH

The Paperwork You Need after a Loved One Dies

With cremations as part of cremation services offered in Cleveland, OH, important paperwork will be needed through the funeral process and after the funeral is over. All of this paperwork should be kept in one place and the person handling everything should know where it is and have complete access to it.

When a family is grieving over the loss of someone they love, they will not have enough clarity to think of everything they will need to take care of funeral arrangements and take care of their loved one’s affairs afterward. If you take care of making sure all of these are together now, then it will make it a lot easier for your family when you die.

If you are the executor of your loved one’s estate, you will need to get two different documents to fulfill your responsibilities.

One document is a certified death certificate. You should ask for at least 20 in your meeting with the funeral home director (you can also get more later if you need them) if the estate is small. Larger estates may need more.

The second document you will likely need to execute the estate is an Employer Identification Number (EIN). This document makes the estate of your loved one a legal entity that can pay outstanding bills, pay funeral expenses, and distribute assets to the estate’s heirs.

You will also need identification papers and personal papers. For identification, you will need a birth certificate, citizenship papers, social security card, driver’s license, and passport (if applicable). The personal papers you will need include a marriage certificate, divorce/annulment papers, prenuptial agreements, military discharge papers, and birth and death certificates (if applicable) for the rest of the immediate family.

You may not need all the personal papers, but it’s good to have them in case you do. Make sure to keep your loved one’s purse or wallet (if they died some place other than home) so you have their driver’s license. In hospitals, hospice houses, assisted living facilities, and nursing homes, these should be among the effects of your loved one that are given to you after they die.

To make funeral arrangements according to your deceased loved one’s wishes, you will need any documentation they left that gave instructions for their funeral. You will also need biographical information for the obituary, and you will need contact information for anyone who needs to know that your loved one has died (don’t forget employers, if your loved one was not retired and still working).

There are some other papers that you’ll need at various times before and after your loved one dies. Before death, you will need your loved one’s durable power of attorney, living will, durable healthcare power of attorney, and organ donation papers. Without these, you will not be able to handle your loved one’s affairs if they are unable to do so themselves.

After your loved one has died, you will need either their will or revocable trust to execute the estate according to their wishes.

You will also need your loved one’s financial information. This can include bank accounts, investments, insurance policies, retirement accounts, pensions, payable on death accounts, and income tax returns.

For more information about cremation services in Cleveland, OH, our compassionate and experienced team at E. F. Boyd & Son Funeral Home is here to help. You can visit our funeral home at 25900 Emery Road, Warrensville Heights, OH 44123, or you can call us today at (216) 831-7906.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *